Re: How to handle data/script files in a VPATH build ?

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Re: How to handle data/script files in a VPATH build ?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 01:47:33 +0000

Steffen Dettmer wrote:

Just because of my curiosity, when writing portable packages
(i.e. packages compiling ON many platforms), on which platform
this is recommended to do so? GNU/Linux is great for working
because it has all the efficient tools, but bad for testing,
because it is too powerful and everything works :)
Or is there some `mini linux' or alike that uses e.g. busybox
find etc? Then someone could have a virtual machine to test.

Solaris must come very high up on the priority list. Sun's tools are often quite different to the GNU ones. Solaris is probably 4th in popularity compared to Windows, OS X and Linux. It is the most common real Unix system.

I'm all for people testing code on other platforms. I can make available an HP-UX box for limited testing. Due to power consumption, I can't run the thing 24/7 for 52 weeks per year, but I can power it up for a couple of days if someone want to test on HP-UX.

Dave