Subpackage distclean removed parent package dep files

From: BVK Chaitanya
Subject: Subpackage distclean removed parent package dep files
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:32:42 +0530

Hi,

We have been try to port GRUB2's build system to automake.  GRUB2
build needs to make use of two different compilers (HOSTCC and
TARGETCC) for compiling grub-utilities and grub-binaries respectively.
 So, we started using nested packages approach, where top-level
configure+Makefile.am builds grub-utilities using HOSTCC, and nested
package's configure+Makefile.am use TARGETCC for compiling
grub-binaries.

As of now, we are able to build build both packages successfully,
except that make distcheck fails when it is run from top-level.  It is
failing in its distclean step, where subpackage's distclean seems to
remove .Po files that belong to top-level package (We use
subdir-objects option).

How can we fix this?  Is our approach of using two possible compilers
this way reasonable?

thanks,
--
bvk.chaitanya