Re: pthread + SUN Compiler

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: pthread + SUN Compiler
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 20:55:17 +0100

Hi Bob,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 04:22:56PM CET:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> >But I'm a but wondering, why libtool can't be forced to omit certain flags in
> >the *la files.
>
> Libtool assumes that everything is built with the same compiler.

But that's a limitation.  To work better, those extra flags could be
stored as compiler-independently as possible, and converted back to
per-compiler spelling at use time (i.e., at the time something else
links against this library).  I'm not sure how practicable that is
though, it would essentially require to put much logic of ACX_PTHREAD
into the libtool script.  Ugh.

> In
> the case of threads (and particularly on Solaris) it is important
> for the option to be preserved, or dependent programs/libraries
> might not work.  This is because Solaris provides some stub pthread
> functions via weak symbols which do nothing (and return an error
> code) so that thread-safe libraries may be used by single-threaded
> programs.

Agreed.