Re: advice for pre-generating documentation

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: advice for pre-generating documentation
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:01:51 +0100

Hello,

to round this up:

* Braden McDaniel wrote on Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:28:26PM CET:
> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 12:59 +0100, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> > At Friday 12 February 2010, Braden McDaniel <address@hidden>
> > wrote:
> > > Actually, EXTRA_DIST can pull in a whole subdirectory.
> > Thank you for the information, I didn't know that (or I forgot it).  I
> > guess It's time for me to re-read the Automake documentation.
> > > Wildcards work there as well.
> > Mmhhh... technically, you are right on this point too (as can be seen
> > by reading any Automake-generated makefile), but I couldn't find
> > anything about this "feature" in the manual...  Are you sure that
> > wildcards in EXTRA_DIST are supported "by design" rather than as
> > a side-effect of implementation details? In the last case, it could be
> > a bad idea to exploit that "feature".
>
> I have no idea.  It's worked that way for a long time.
>
> While in general I agree with the Automake philosophy regarding
> wildcards, Doxygen integration is one place where they make a whole lot
> of sense.  I hope the Automake maintainers don't decide to break this.

Wildcards in EXTRA_DIST are pretty much a must-not-break because too
many packages depend on it.  Of course the caveats mentioned in the FAQ
apply.

extra[567].test and distdir.test check semantics of putting a directory
in EXTRA_DIST, subpkg3.test ensures files and directories may thus be
shared by package and subpackage.

I guess a test using an explicit wild card would be good as well, as
I'm not entirely sure all make implementations handle wildcards in
prerequisites correctly; the `distdir' target has `$(EXTRA_DIST)' as
prerequisite.