Re: create libraries with libtool, but don't install *.la files?

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: create libraries with libtool, but don't install *.la files?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:51:27 -0500

Hi,

Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
Hi,

the combination autoconf/automake/libtool
makes it quite easy to create shared libraries.
but how can I install the file created as a single *.so
file, but without any *.la file etc.

the shared libraries we create implement a fixed plugin
interface thus they don't need the normal versioning
shared libraries have. also applications will only
load the shared libraries using the plugin mechanism,
so neither dynamic not statically linkinging in the
library with application code is required.

can you give an example how to archive this?

Wouldn't it work with an install hook such as:

install-exec-hook:
        rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/libfoo.la

Thanks,
Peter