Re: detect old Automake

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: detect old Automake
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:41:40 -0500

Hi Ralf,

On 2/25/10 3:14 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Changing that to 63 is probably a good idea (but we'd need to check
whether throughout autotools there is no expectance of the other value),
Is anyone more than autoreconf and the missing script calling automake and thereby possibly reacting to the return value?

but by very definition of this issue even acceptance of that patch won't
help you: old versions will forever use the old semantics.
I hear you. The same is true for autoconf; if someone compiles AC_PREREQ with autoconf 2.57 (or older) it will return 1. However, that is quite unlikely today as version 2.58 was released more than six years ago, and old autoconf nowadays typically means something like version 2.59.

Patches are always welcome when they conform to the usual guidelines
(see HACKING in the git tree; including a test, ChangeLog entry,
documentation update, and having copyright issues taken care of for
nontrivial changes).
OK, I'll give it a try when having some extra time.

Thanks,
Peter