Re: distcheck and canonical_*

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: distcheck and canonical_*
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:54:57 -0500

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Ralf Wildenhues
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> * NightStrike wrote on Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 02:55:09PM CET:
>> When doing a make distcheck, why is for instance the --host option not
>> propagated to configure without explicitly setting
>> DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS?
>
> The default INSTALL file recommends just running
>  ./configure
>  make
>  make install
>
> without further options.  The Autoconf manual documents, as basic
> statement, running ./configure without options.  The implicit assumption
> engraved into autotools is that a plain ./configure works "most of the
> time".
>
> As such, distcheck, the test which aims to help ensure that your package
> is suitable for the average user, should just invoke that plain
> configure.  The way you have set up the package in your developer build
> tree may have little to with that, be that --host or
> --enable-maintainer-mode arguments.
>
> So yes, the fact that arguments are not propagated from configure to
> distcheck by default, could be called a feature.
>
> Hope that helps.  If you need --host by default on your system, I
> suggest you install on it a config.site file that sets host_alias;
> if your package needs some settings for distcheck to work by default,
> then you can use DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Given that our base system is 64-bit windows, and there is no unixy
environment for it yet (msys is still 32-bit only), we are pretty much
always cross compiling when doing distchecks (usually from linux, as
it's fast).  So, I wound up just putting --host into the distcheck
configure arguments.  Hope that's ok.