Re: Public header files

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: Public header files
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:23:11 -0700

On 3/3/2010 12:53 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
John Calcote<address@hidden>  writes:

While I agree that standards should be followed, I find this one
distasteful. I mean, "long long"? Is that supposed to be someone's idea
of a scalable solution? What happens when we have 128-bit systems? Dare
I venture: "long long long"? And please don't say we'll never have
128-bit systems. We've been down that road before; we know where it
leads.
Usually by the time one gets to the point of standardizing something, it's
both too late to fix the aesthetics and aesthetics are the least of
anyone's concerns.  A lot of things that make it into standards are
widespread existing practice before then, and it's too much work to change
them.

I suspect this is part of why, as you point out, the standard also
introduces int<size>_t at the same time, but "long long" is more widely
supported, probably because it's older than the standard.

Of course you're right Russ.

John