Re: Sun compiler and /usr/local/include

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Sun compiler and /usr/local/include
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 20:33:11 +0100

Hello Charles,

* Charles Brown wrote on Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 08:25:53PM CET:
> Very new to automake,

Well, welcome then!

> and can't find an answer to this; What would
> be put in configure.ac to determine whether the detected
> preprocessor/compiler automatically supplies -I/usr/local/include
> (for example, g++ does, but sun CC does not),

Good question.  Actually, unless you know of a definite header that's
present in /usr/local/include, I wouldn't know how to find this out
portably.  Why not add it by default, or even better, just let the user
add it:
  ./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include

if it is needed on her system?

> and if not, how to add it to some CFLAGS variable?

CFLAGS wouldn't be right, because -I is a preprocessor variable.

> I tried slamming it into AM_CPPFLAGS, but this didn't get me anything.

Well if you need the flag at configure time, add it to CPPFLAGS, either
by the user as above, or by you in configure.ac.  But I would reserve
this to the user; she might have a broken version of the headers you're
looking for there.

> -
> This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
> information that is company confidential or privileged.  Any
[...]

Such message footers are frowned upon on public lists, and easily
avoided by using non-work email accounts if need be.