appending to BUILT_SOURCES, if appropriate

From: Adam Mercer
Subject: appending to BUILT_SOURCES, if appropriate
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:39:10 -0600

Hi

For one of the projects I work on we need to add something like the
following to each Makefile.am to ensure that vcs information is
current:

vcsID:
  cd $(top_builddir)/src/lalapps && $(MAKE) liblalapps.la
BUILT_SOURCES = vcsID

As this is going to be the same in each Makefile.am, I would like to
have the above in a file that is included in each Makefile.am with
something like

include path/to/Makefile.common

The problem is that some Makefile.am's already define BUILT_SOURCES,
whilst some do not. Is there a way that I can append to BUILT_SOURCES,
if it already exists, or define it if it doesn't?

Cheers

Adam