Re: Public header files

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Public header files
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:34:54 +0100

* Jef Driesen wrote on Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 02:10:04PM CET:
> On 02/03/10 22:17, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >Hmm, put
> >   AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([config.h foo-api.h])
> >   AC_DEFINE([ticks_t], [...], [...])
> >
> >in configure.ac, create foo-api.h.in with contents
> >   /* Public API header of package Foo */
> >   #undef ticks_t
> >
> >and add foo-api.h to include_HEADERS in Makefile.am.  Untested,
> >be sure to test distcheck.
>
> In case anyone is interested, at the end of this post you can find
> the solution that I'm using now.

You are using a AC_CONFIG_FILES now instead of a AC_CONFIG_HEADERS.
That's fine per se, but config files are updated unconditionally by
config.status, meaning that the updated timestamp might cause more
rebuilds than necessary.

> The next thing I want to add is a MYLIB_VERSION_REVISION, that
> contains some info from the SCM system (e.g. a svn revision number,
> a git sha1 hash). When building a (not yet released) development
> version of my code, it would be useful to know the exact revision.

There's been quite some prior discussion and examples of this in the
list archives, but a perfect solution still would require some changes
to Automake.