Re: build .o files to specific directory using automake

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: build .o files to specific directory using automake
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:27:37 +0100

Hello,

the message you reply to doesn't seem to have made it to the list,
other than to nabble.  It would have been helpful if you quote text
you reply to:

* scleung wrote on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 03:29:15AM CET:
> I have searched some related threads and seems that it won't work like this
> way.
> All suggestions were using VPATH build.

Yes, indeed.  They are documented for example here:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/VPATH-Builds.html>
Generally, this mechanism is more powerful and useful than moving
objects in a specific directory.

Another thing you might be interested in is the subdir-objects option;
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Program-and-Library-Variables.html#index-Objects-in-subdirectory-453>.

> So does it possible to change the current directory in configure script to
> specify the builddir?

Yes, by calling the configure script *from* the builddir-to-be, i.e.,
with the builddir as current directory.

> I also try to override top_builddir variable with AC_SUBST but it seems not
> work.

No, that won't work.

Hope that helps.