Re: Building prog first

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Building prog first
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:40:27 +0100

* Russell Shaw wrote on Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 11:18:03AM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >Use noinst_PROGRAMS instead of bin_PROGRAMS.  Be encouraged to read the
> >fine manual.
>
> But it is somewhat big, and i had already searched through the online
> one a lot first. It is no wonder it takes noobs so long to get productive.

I'm not sure how to help that.  If more documentation makes people less
likely to look at it, then what would you suggest in order to improve
upon the situation?  Is the documentation not structured well enough?
Does the "Autotools Introduction" chapter in the Automake manual not
help get a basic grasp?

I agree that the initial learning steps may not be easy for Automake,
but I don't see how to make Automake a lot easier without also ripping
out much of the functionality.  So turning that knob is fairly unlikely.

> >BTW, execution of built programs like this makes your package unsuitable
> >for cross-compilation.  Just so you're aware of that.
>
> Ok. I assume then that you can't build the tool for the host system while
> the generated files are compiled for the target system?

First off, allow me to clarify the nomenclature as it is used in GNU
software:
- the build system is the one you run configure and 'make all' on,
- the host system is the one that the programs which 'make all' normally
  generates and installs, will run on later,
- the target system does not exist.  Never.  Unless your package happens
  to be a compiler or linker (or similar).  Then, the target system is
  the one for which your installed compiler/linker will generate code
  for.

With that, your sentence above should have been
  Ok. I assume then that you can't build the tool for the build system while
  the generated files are compiled for the host system?

Not straight-forwardly, no.  Once you've got your basic package working
and cross compilation support is the only thing missing, please come
back and we'll explain.