Re: Building prog first

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: Building prog first
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:44:17 +0000

2010/3/22 Russell Shaw <address@hidden>:
> Steffen Dettmer wrote:
>>
>> * On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>>> BTW, execution of built programs like this makes your package unsuitable
>>> for cross-compilation.  Just so you're aware of that.

Not true. automake does not have explicit support for building
programs with the host compiler when cross-compiling, but I have done
this successfully in the past when I needed precisely to build a
program on the host when cross compiling, using binutils's
BFD_CC_FOR_BUILD macro. It's a pity some version of this macro isn't
in autoconf, or even autoconf-archive; I shall do the latter.

This illustrates a weirdness of autotools: poor support for installing
interpreted languages, and also conversely for build-time compiled
programs.

> I though of perl, but (A), i don't like slow tools,

Purlease...

> (B), unidata.tab.c
> is 5.6MBytes and 450k lines long,

and?

> (C), i find making build-programs
> in C much more concise than scripting and i can debug it in ddd/gdb.

This is interesting, as it doesn't match mine or commonly-reported
experience (translating my build-time programs from C to Perl made
them shorter, easier to read and fix, and no slower to run, although I
wasn't doing more than grepping 15k lines of C and writing some of it
back out again).

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org