Re: Building prog first

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Building prog first
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:03:36 +0100

Hello Reuben,

* Reuben Thomas wrote on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 04:44:17PM CET:
> 2010/3/22 Russell Shaw:
> > Steffen Dettmer wrote:
>
> Not true.

Huh?  On the level of implementation Russel is working on, that is very
much true.  Please read the whole thread; I didn't say this is
impossible.

> automake does not have explicit support for building
> programs with the host compiler when cross-compiling, but I have done
> this successfully in the past when I needed precisely to build a
> program on the host when cross compiling, using binutils's
> BFD_CC_FOR_BUILD macro. It's a pity some version of this macro isn't
> in autoconf, or even autoconf-archive; I shall do the latter.

Why not go for Autoconf?  That is where it should belong, and yes,
better support for this situation would be very nice to have integrated
better.

> This illustrates a weirdness of autotools: poor support for installing
> interpreted languages, and also conversely for build-time compiled
> programs.

Hey, as they say, patches welcome!