Status of precompiled headers support?

From: Lance Westerhoff
Subject: Status of precompiled headers support?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:39:13 -0400

Hello-

I searched the automake list archives (along with anywhere else I could find),
and it appears that nothing has really happened with standardizing precompiled
headers support in the tool chain as there hasn't been any mention for years. I
have found some vague references to supporting them or suggested hacks, but
nothing concrete. Is this impression correct? If so, does anyone have any rules
of thumb or modern examples for hacking together one's own support?

Thank you for your time and for any insights!

-Lance