Re: Processing intermediate source files

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Processing intermediate source files
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 22:58:04 +0200

Hello Jarek,

* jarek wrote on Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:55:44AM CEST:
>       I have a c/c++ project with some number of intermediate files generated
> from ASN.1 sources.
>       At the moment I'm building intermediate .cpp/.h sources like this:
>
> regen: regenerate-from-asn1-source
>
> regenerate-from-asn1-source:
>       esnacc -C file1.asn file2.asn file3.asn
>
> What should I write in Makefile.am so the regeneration will be performed
> automatically, when any of ASN.1 files will be changed ?
>
> I've tried with SUFFIXES but, there is no simple relation between one
> ASN.1 and one .cpp file. ASN.1 files have dependecies, and they should
> be compiled together.

"info Automake 'Multiple Outputs'" shows ways to write such rules for
portable make (for GNU make only you could use pattern rules).  You
should let the produced files depend upon the inputs as fit.  Depending
on whether the generated files are portable or not, and whether you
require your users to also have esnacc, the produced sources should be
listed in nodist_*_SOURCES or normal *_SOURCES.

Generated .h files should probably be listed in BUILT_SOURCES.

Hope that helps.