Re: revision control info in generated files

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: revision control info in generated files
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:58:34 -0400

Jef Driesen wrote:
On 12/04/10 14:59, Peter Johansson wrote:
Also, I would try avoid distributing
`version.h', but not sure how to do that from top of my head.

Why would you not distribute it?

Well, it's a matter of taste, but I see no real reason to include it in the tarball.

I think it's very useful that it gets distributed. Imagine someone downloads a tarball and wants to built it with the msvc compiler (which I support for my project). Since no files can be generated in that (non autotools) environment, that works fine *if* the generated files are distributed.
Yeah, but you don't need autotools to generate `version.h'. You only need make, `version.h.in', and `version' of which the two latter are already included in the distribution, right?

When I used to generate those files from configure.ac, they were distributed as well.

Are you sure about that? Files in AC_CONFIG_FILES are typically not distributed but their "*.in" counterpart is. See, for example, how Makefile.in is distributed but the Makefile is generated at the end of configure.

Thanks,
Peter

--
Peter Johansson