Re: dist-xz compression level

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: dist-xz compression level
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:57:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Pavel Sanda wrote:

Pavel Sanda wrote:
It was deliberate.
For my use, xz -9 is far too slow for anything except the
final "make dist" I run just prior to a release.

For a release, I run this, via one of the
alpha, beta or stable targets in gnulib's maint.mk:

  $(MAKE) dist XZ_OPT=-9ev

Is it possible to setup this to be the default inside makefiles?
(I use make dist only for the final release...)

Some of us use 'make distcheck' regularly as a test case, and for periodic development snapshots.

Since Automake passes through makefile content, it is easy enough to add a project-specific 'make release' target which adds the XZ_OPT option and invokes 'make dist' or 'make distcheck'. Overriding an already set makefile variable is likely not portable.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn