twaking the $VERSION of the make dist targets

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: twaking the $VERSION of the make dist targets
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 18:50:26 -0400

Hi All,

Is there any way at all to tweak the $VERSION that used in creating the
distdir (tarballs)?  While I don't want to change the actual version of
a given package, I do want to add an identifier to the tarball.  Such an
identifier would be introduced by a configure switch and thus subst'd
into the Makefile.

Thanx,
b.