Re: Minimal example for perl program

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Minimal example for perl program
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:27:11 -0700

Ole Tange <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks, Russ. I believe this is half the answer. But it seems I still
> need a couple of lines. Here is what I have now:

> $ cat src/Makefile.am
> dist_bin_SCRIPTS = parallel
> man_MANS = parallel.1

> parallel.1: parallel
>        pod2man --release='$(PACKAGE_VERSION)' --center='$(PACKAGE_NAME)' \
>            --section=1 parallel > parallel.1

> CLEANFILES = parallel.1

> $ cat Makefile.am
> SUBDIRS = src

> $ cat configure.ac
> AC_INIT([parallel], [1.0], address@hidden)
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall -Werror foreign])
> AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([config.h])
> AC_CONFIG_FILES([
>   Makefile
>   src/Makefile
> ])
> AC_OUTPUT

> When running:

>   autoreconf --install -W gnu; ./configure ; make

> the manpage is not made. Doing

>   cd src
>   make parallel.1

> does not make the man page either.

Hurm.  I could have sworn that the man_MANS target was automatically
built.  What's the output of the latter command?

Also, if make install knows to install the man page, make should
automatically attempt to build it as well, so I'm confused as to why that
wouldn't happen.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>