Re: Minimal example for perl program

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Minimal example for perl program
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:55:30 +0200

Hello Ole, Russ,

* Russ Allbery wrote on Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:27:11PM CEST:
> Ole Tange writes:
> > $ cat src/Makefile.am
> > dist_bin_SCRIPTS = parallel
> > man_MANS = parallel.1
>
> > parallel.1: parallel
> >        pod2man --release='$(PACKAGE_VERSION)' --center='$(PACKAGE_NAME)' \
> >            --section=1 parallel > parallel.1

The rule command lines must be indented with a leading TAB.

> > CLEANFILES = parallel.1

Commonly, the rule is that 'make clean' cleans the stuff made by 'make'
but your tarball will contain parallel.1 already (which I think is a
good idea, because then your users won't need pod2man installed); you
could put it into MAINTAINERCLEANFILES or DISTCLEANFILES instead.

[...]
> > When running:
>
> >   autoreconf --install -W gnu; ./configure ; make
>
> > the manpage is not made. Doing
>
> >   cd src
> >   make parallel.1
>
> > does not make the man page either.
>
> Hurm.  I could have sworn that the man_MANS target was automatically
> built.

It is.

> Also, if make install knows to install the man page, make should
> automatically attempt to build it as well,

That also is true.

> so I'm confused as to why that wouldn't happen.

Hope this clears all confusion.