Re: Built-in target to delete all generated files

From: Trevor Harmon
Subject: Re: Built-in target to delete all generated files
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:44:19 -0700

On Apr 28, 2010, at 6:27 AM, Peter Johansson wrote:

> You can extend maintainer-clean using either MANTAINERCLEANFILES or
> maintainer-clean-local as documented here
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Clean

MAINTAINERCLEANFILES worked perfectly; thanks.

> Of note, GCS states that: "More generally, ‘make maintainer-clean’ should not
> delete anything that needs to exist in order to run configure and then begin
> to build the program".

Yes, but that rule of thumb is at odds with another rule of thumb: "Never
commit generated files to a source code repository." And considering that
"autoreconf -i" does a perfect job of regenerating all of the files I listed,
I'm willing to break the GCS rule. Besides, I'm the only developer on this
little project, so nobody will care but me. :)

Trevor