Re: how to change $(CC) for just some targets

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how to change $(CC) for just some targets
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 21:59:56 +0200

* Brian J. Murrell wrote on Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 09:51:25PM CEST:

> I was just surprised that I could set CFLAGS and LDFLAGS and additional
> linker arguments on a per target basis but not specify a compiler and/or
> linker on a per target basis.
>
> Would this be something difficult to add or relatively simple, just not
> really been so much of a demand for it thus far?

You can set foo_LINK to override the link command, but that contains
more than just the linker.  Overriding CC in a way that is more than
just adding to CFLAGS is a bit illogical from a theoretical POV: most
configure tests are done for a specific compiler; if you actually had
two separate compilers with possibly different features, then with
current Autoconf, you'd need two different configure scripts to test
them separately.

Yes, I know, MPI compiler wrappers often are less problematic than
that (except for the abundance of shell quoting errors that they used
to have ...), but I didn't claim theory = practice above.  ;-)