shared object and Makefile.am

From: Wesley Smith
Subject: shared object and Makefile.am
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 05:40:53 -0700

Hi,
I'm trying to use autotools to compile shared object Lua modules.  The
way these modules are named differs from the typical .so conventions
because they're not actually libs one links against but are instead
loaded by Lua itself.  For example, a Lua module binding OpenGL would
look like opengl.so instead of libopengl.so.  I've got a Makefile.am
that works for the usual conventions:

INCLUDES = -I$(srcdir)/include -I/usr/include/lua5.1 -I/usr/include/GL
LIBS = -shared

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libopengl.la
libopengl_la_SOURCES = src/LuaGL.cpp src/LuaGlu.c

but when I do lib_LTLIBRARIES = opengl.so, I get:

$ autoreconf -i
libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.ac and
libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros in-tree.
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
opengl/Makefile.am:4: `opengl.so' is not a standard libtool library name
opengl/Makefile.am:4: did you mean `libopengl.la'?
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

Is there any way around this?  Some kind of option or setting to
ignore these conventions and not throw an error?

thanks,
wes