Re: Selective inclusion of files to distribution

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Selective inclusion of files to distribution
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:30:06 +0200

Hello Stathis,

* Stathis Kamperis wrote on Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:15:22PM CEST:
> VPATH = ../
> LDADD = -lm
> AM_CFLAGS = -std=c99 -Wall -W
> bin_PROGRAMS = ulp
> ulp_SOURCES = main.c gen.c ulp.c subr_random.c

> When I type 'make' everything goes fine. 'subr_random.c' is picked up in ../

Automake doesn't really cope well when you set VPATH yourself, nor when
there are distributed files outside the toplevel source or build
directories.  There is a good rationale, too: your users expect files in
foo-1.0.tar.gz to extract into a subdir foo-1.0/ and not overwrite other
files on their system.  Can you sym- or hardlink the file in your tree
(note that 'make dist' will expand symlinks, for portability), or make
your outer directory the toplevel package directory?

> P.S. I could drop VPATH altogether and have ../subr_random.c  in
> ulp_SOURCES but that would result in the creation of file, outside the
> directory where the tarball would be extracted.

Yes, that is a bad idea.

Hope that helps.