Re: [Translation-i18n] automake po / pot file integration: when to merge

From: Chusslove Illich
Subject: Re: [Translation-i18n] automake po / pot file integration: when to merge the PO files?
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 12:20:00 +0200

> [: Bruno Haible :]
> The minimalistic approach
> -------------------------
> [...]
> The drawback with this approach is that translators cannot work with a PO
> file that they take from a tarball; [...]

I'm likely missing something, but...

Why not have a per-language PO update target, e.g.

  $ make update-po-LANG

This would require msgmerge on translator's system, but Gettext tools are
anyway the bare minimum that translators should have in a PO-based
translation workflow (for msgfmt -c if for nothing else).

This is what is conceptually done in Gnome Translation Project, only using a
specialized tool (Intltool) instead of going directly through the build
system's interface, see

http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/SvnHowTo#Committing_interface_translation

(Repository update-commit actions in this instruction can be substituted
with unpack tarball, ..., send PO by email. But this brings up another
advantage, and that is that translators can work both with a tarball and
with a VCS in the same way.)

> [...] Or they would need to rely on a web service to deliver them the
> merged PO files - then the translators have a methodology problem.

This has nothing to do with the issue at hand, but I'm curious, what exactly
do you mean by a "methodology problem"?

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)