Re: 2.4 Release in 24hrs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: 2.4 Release in 24hrs
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 06:29:22 +0200

* Gary V. Vaughan wrote on Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 03:21:55AM CEST:
> On 22 Sep 2010, at 05:02, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > Peter Rosin wrote:
> >> Just a friendly ping, but only just now I pushed a change to the
> >> 'compile' script in automake and would like the new version in
> >> the release if it's not too much to ask for.  Thanks!
> >
> > Errr...is that kosher?  I thought libtool was only supposed to ship the
> > scripts provided by released versions of automake, not git head
> > copies...

No.  See Makefile.maint, where the 'fetch' target explicitly fetches the
git master copies of some scripts, including 'compile'.  As long as you
run fetch after bootstrap, there is no need for you to do anything else
at all.

You should not need to use git Automake for this, and please don't,
because it currently carries a small regression over 1.11.1.  I'll
fix it ASAP, but just haven't had the time for it yet.

Thanks,