Re: separate target for installing docs

From: mhoenicka
Subject: Re: separate target for installing docs
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 12:53:11 -0700 (PDT)

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> There is also 'install-exec' which only installs platform-dependent
> files, and 'install-data' which does the rest, maybe that is already
> good enough for you?  See info Automake "The Two Parts of Install".

Thanks for your hints. In fact, the install-exec vs. install-data thing is
good enough for half of the problem. To keep things simple I didn't mention
that we're talking about two related projects, one providing a library, the
other a variety of loadable drivers. The drivers do not contain any DATA
files other than documentation, so make install-data and make install-exec
do exactly what I was asking for. However, the library also ships a .pc file
which is DATA as a matter of fact. I came up with the following solution,
which seems to do the right thing (although I wouldn't be too surprised if
it's going to bite me somewhere else on the long run):

First I keep the docs in a separate subdirectory which isn't considered
anywhere except during make dist. This makes sure the doc sources and the
prebuilt docs are packaged in the tarball.

SUBDIRS = src include
DIST_SUBDIRS = src include doc

Next I've added the following phony targets:

doc:
        cd doc && $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) all

install-doc:
        cd doc && $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) install

maintainer-clean-local:
        cd doc && $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) maintainer-clean

These targets simply run make, make install, and make maintainer-clean in
the doc subdirectory.

Feel free to point out any problems that this approach will cause.

regards,
Markus