Re: Automake/Libtool: Compiling the same source as C and C++

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Automake/Libtool: Compiling the same source as C and C++
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:36:20 +0200

Hello Hugh,

let's keep the list in Cc:, I dislike private communication about things
interesting for the public at large.  Thanks.

* Hugh Dickinson wrote on Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 09:34:13AM CEST:
> By the way, is the feature that you use for doing the suffix
> substitution (":.c=.cc") documented anywhere. Are similar features
> such as appending suffixes available?

The $(macro:.suffix1=.suffix2) substitution is documented in Posix, so
should also be documented in the man page or texinfo manual of your make
implementation.

You can append suffixes with $(macro:=.suffix2), but beware that there
is at least one portability glitch we are aware of in this case: when
the macro contains trailing spaces, GNU make versions 3.80 and earlier
will generate an additional element .suffix2 in the list; with

macro = stuff $(macro2)
macro2 =
all:
        echo $(macro:=.suff)

'make all' will print 'stuff.suff .suff' with those makes.