Question about automake fails to pass the correct parameters to pax when

From: xufeng zhang
Subject: Question about automake fails to pass the correct parameters to pax when using large UID/GID
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:24:18 +0800

Hi,

I'm a developer from WindRiver, and I have a question about automake.
When I using a large UID/GID(>2097151) to configure and build a linux project, gnu tar fails and automake select pax as a replacement. However, automake seems fail to pass the correct parameters to pax(we are using ustar as archive format),
the build hangs at:

 Configuring:  rpm
configure: creating cache ldat_config_cache
Configuring RPM Package Manager (RPM), Version 5.1.9

=== INITIALIZATION ===
checking build system type... i686-wrs-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-wrs-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-wrs-linux-gnu
checking for gawk... gawk
checking how to create a ustar tar archive...
ATTENTION! pax archive volume change required.
Ready for archive volume: 1
Input archive name or "." to quit pax.
Archive name >

I think the problem is caused by the maximum limitation of UID/GID for ustar archive format (Maximum value of UID/GID is 2097151). So if it is proper to increase the limitation for UID/GID in ustar?
I don't know if there is any considerations for this limitation?

Thanks,
Xufeng Zhang