Re: Question about automake fails to pass the correct parameters to pax

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Question about automake fails to pass the correct parameters to pax when using large UID/GID
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 09:37:52 +0200

Hello Xufeng Zhang,

thanks for the report.

* xufeng zhang wrote on Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 05:24:18AM CEST:
> I'm a developer from WindRiver, and I have a question about automake.
> When I using a large UID/GID(>2097151) to configure and build a
> linux project,
> gnu tar fails and automake select pax as a replacement. However,
> automake seems
> fail to pass the correct parameters to pax(we are using ustar as
> archive format),
> the build hangs at:
[...]

> checking how to create a ustar tar archive...
> ATTENTION! pax archive volume change required.
> Ready for archive volume: 1
> Input archive name or "." to quit pax.
> Archive name >
>
> I think the problem is caused by the maximum limitation of UID/GID
> for ustar archive format
> (Maximum value of UID/GID is 2097151). So if it is proper to
> increase the limitation for UID/GID in ustar?
> I don't know if there is any considerations for this limitation?

I don't think there is much that can be done about this in Automake, as
that seems to be a limitation inheren in the ustar format.  See
  info Automake --index 'ustar format'

and the link to the Formats node of the GNU tar manual a couple of
paragraphs further down.

IIUC then you'd either have to change to a different UID/GID with lower
values, or modify the package to use a different archive format.

If you still think that Automake is in the position to do something
about this, then please provide more details (as I'm not exactly an
expert in archive formats portability).

Thanks,