Re: default -g ??!?

From: MK
Subject: Re: default -g ??!?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 10:24:12 -0500

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:31:01 +0100
Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> * MK wrote on Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 08:10:25PM CET:
> > Since I could not find a way to prevent the project being built -g,
> > and there is no need for this.
>
> ./configure CFLAGS=-O2

That does not make sense for a few reasons:

1) I am not asking for a way for the user to configure with their own
flags.  I am not the user, I am the author, I am writing the makefile, I
think this is clear in the original post. I would like the package to
build without debugging symbols. I already have CFLAGS declared in the
makefile.

2)  Compiling -O2 does not "cancel" -g anyway, you can compile "gcc -g
-O2" and *both flags* will be used.

3) -O2 is part of the default anyway.  When I make I get
"gcc [my makefile flags] -g -O2", etc.  If I add -O2 to my flags, then
-O2 appears twice.

How can I remove -g?

MK

--
"The angel of history[...]is turned toward the past." (Walter Benjamin)