Re: default -g ??!?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: default -g ??!?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:07:04 +0100

* MK wrote on Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 09:55:51PM CET:

> Maybe so, and maybe not.  But regardless: it makes more sense to have
> the default *appropriate for general use*, rather for a distro packager
> (who's work I do appreciate!).  Otherwise, I have to put a note in the
> INSTALL: "To accommodate the constraints of distro package systems, you
> will have to use a configure option or strip your binaries if you do
> not want debugging symbols slowing you down".

Just tell them to 'make install-strip' rather than 'make install'.

Please show numbers and glibc version to prove that your vim really
loads slower when not stripped, you can use
  time vim -c :q

the runtime loader does not map the debug sections so it should not
have any impact.  Besides, disk space is cheap nowadays, for excessive
debug symbol sizes on sane systems like GNU/Linux one should file
compiler/linker bugs.