Re: reword documentation about symbol stripping

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: reword documentation about symbol stripping
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:59:11 -0700

You need to remember the original target audience of GNU software was a
group of people that wanted to share free software. Most of them were
students or researchers that generally built software distributed in
source form. Only in the last 10 years has Linux become generally
popular. Before that time, it and all the software that ran on it were
pretty much relegated to programmers. That being the case, "users" were
programmers, and programmers are indeed helpless without debug symbols
during a crash - that is, unless you're one of those rare types that
loves to dig into a good assembly debug session.

In any case, it makes complete sense why the GNU standards were written
this way when you understand the history.

John