Re: Any way to get rid of -MP parameter to gcc for dependency creation?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Any way to get rid of -MP parameter to gcc for dependency creation?
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 21:36:28 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Xan Lopez wrote:

I can believe automake is more portable than any of the other systems,
and that this is a factor that makes it comparatively slower. I think
an optional mode that generates optimized output for a subset of
setups (for instance, one that has GNU make) is a reasonable
compromise.

It is possible for Automake to allow configuring specifically for GNU make because it delivers Makefile.in files which are substituted to produce the actual Makefiles. This is feasable if the tweaks are relatively small and can be applied to Makefile.in by config.status (or some extra substitution script code). It may be that large performance wins can be obtained via relatively simple changes.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn