Re: High-Precision NFS Timestamps

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: High-Precision NFS Timestamps
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:58:34 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Eric Reischer wrote:

I recently upgraded our NFS fileserver to an ext4 filesystem, and since then we've been having clock skew warnings from make (3.81). Because the ext3 filesystem that was previously running on the NFS server didn't support high-precision timestamps, we didn't have clock skew warnings because an hourly cron job kept the clocks in relatively close sync. However, since ext4 does support sub-second timestamps, we're getting warnings about clock skews on the order of a few milliseconds. I tried adding our target objects

Usually the solution to this is to install and run ntp (Network Time Protocol, as offered by 'xntp') on the machines on your network. This seems to be quite effective on real hardware, and sometimes less effective in virtual machines (e.g. VMWare or Virtualbox) which can only emulate the hardware clock. I am not aware of a more effective method than using ntp.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn