Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:38:17 +0100

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 08:32:01PM CET:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >You can implement hash-based dependencies inside GNU make if you like.
> >Or another make.  Maybe someone has even done so already.  It has little
> >to do with Automake.
>
> I have never heard of such a thing implemented in make.  It would
> surely bloat the makefile by more megabytes or be excruciatingly
> slow.

That's not what I meant.  You can hack the source code of GNU make
with the goal to (optionally) replace timestamp-based dependencies
with file-hash-based depdendencies.  No changes at all in any user
makefiles.  It's not a large change even.  IIRC somebody has done
this already, it just hasn't been merged upstream.

BTW, Nathanael's propositions in this thread go in the same direction: