Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:55:20 +0100

Am 13.01.2011 15:44, schrieb Stefano Lattarini:

>  [3] IMVHO Automake have had its success because it was the first
>      project to fill an existing gap (offering an higher-level
>      make-based "language" with the GNU coding standards in mind),
>
>      doesn "future" means? One month? One year? Ten?).
>      This is the "roadmap" error of Quagmire I was speaking about: if it
>      doesn't start by being 99% automake-compatible from the beginning,
>      *I think* it won't take off, no matter how much better and cleaner
>      and easy to use it is.  That's a pity, and I don't like things

By the way, I would find it more interesting to see some
automake-replacement that allows GNU-make extensions and
compiles them down to standard make as far as possible...

On the other hand some automake-restrictions are really not needed
anymore. (variables with "." and "/" would be nice - along with
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/make/Computed-Names.html
it would easily allow a scheme to define generated compile-flags).

cheers, Guido