Re: make -j1 fails

From: Dave Hart
Subject: Re: make -j1 fails
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:49:02 +0000

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> * Pippijn van Steenhoven wrote on Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:38:36AM CET:
>> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 07:22:20PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>> > If the failure persists, please post short configure.ac and
>> > Makefile.am which expose the problem for you. You can start with
>> > what I show below, and adjust that if it doesn't expose it.
>>
>> The code didn't trigger the bug and I couldn't easily reproduce it by
>> modifying it. It involves considerable effort to modify my existing
>> project and upload it to the FreeBSD build machine and I don't have time
>> to do that, now.
>
> Understood.  This sounds like a FreeBSD make bug, but I'm not sure.
> Can you make your project available for us to try and reproduce the bug
> (I have access to a couple of FreeBSD systems)?  If not, then I'm afraid
> I'll not be able to pursue this further before seeing a reduced version.

While you're waiting for that, perhaps you could pursue the problem I
did take the time to provide a reduced test case for in November:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2010-11/msg00135.html

Note that this issue is no longer a problem for NTP -- autogen's
libopts now provides LIBOPTS_CHECK_NOBUILD, which sidesteps the need
to conditionalize AC_CONFIG_FILES([libopts/Makefile]), and works
correctly on Automake 1.10, which doesn't support AM_COND_IF
conditionalization of AC_CONFIG_FILES.

I am annoyed no one has taken the time to follow up after I took the
time to produce a reduced test case illustrating the automake
misbehavior, and each time I see a request for a reduced repro, I
wonder what I might have done wrong in anticipating the request and
providing the reduced test case in the initial report.

Cheers,
Dave Hart