Re: automake-1.11: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: automake-1.11: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:23:56 +0100

Hi Brian,

* Brian J. Murrell wrote on Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 03:26:36PM CET:
> Our project, which is admittedly built on older versions of the
> autotools seems to be exhibiting some issues when I try to use it with
> automake 1.11.
>
> I have not doubt that this is due to our particular implementation just
> not being up to snuff with automake 1.11.  I'm just not sure where/why
> though.
>
> The error I can automake, autoconf, etc. and get a valid working
> configuration that I can issue make in and all works.  At some point
> however "make clean" starts failing with:
>
> CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/bash
> /home/brian/lustre-release/BUILD/lustre-2.0.59/missing --run aclocal-1.11
>  cd . && /bin/bash /home/brian/lustre-release/BUILD/lustre-2.0.59/missing
> --run automake-1.11 --foreign
> automake-1.11: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output

Any chance that your normal bootstrap process passes arguments such as
-I m4 to aclocal, and the above rebuild rule needs to be fixed?

If you don't have a toplevel Makefile.am, you might need to add a stub
  am--refresh:

rule in the toplevel Makefile.in, to avoid some cases of rebuild
failures; more precisely, you should also have correct rules for
rebuilding aclocal.m4, configure, config.status, and Makefile in
the toplevel Makefile.in.  I don't think that is related to the
above error though, but I'm not sure.

Do you have a link to a tarball that exhibits the problem, and
instructions how to reproduce it?

Thanks,