Re: PKG_CHECK_MODULES on system without pkg-config installed?

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: PKG_CHECK_MODULES on system without pkg-config installed?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:55:39 +0100

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Roger Leigh <address@hidden> wrote:
 [...]
> This is not meant to sound like a troll, but: is anyone really
> *really* using static linking in 2011?

Yes, in my company we link almost all our own libraries
statically to our own applications. (however, we use some own pkg-config)

(on linux, we link libownlib.a but not -static)

We do so for several reasons. For some embedded devices dynamic
linking is no real option for applications or can have other
disadvantages. For linux packages, static linking helps to ensure
that a tested and qualified binary behaves correctly, even if the
target system has different lib versions. So usally we link our
libs statically and the system libs dynamically and, if in doubt,
ask for specific versions (linking everything statically can lead
to e.g. LGPL licensing difficulties, AFAIK).
When having a small lib "fan-in", let's say just needing glibc or
so, you can even install the resulting binary (or RPM/deb/xxx
package) on a differnt linux version / distribution, because
usually the used parts of the library interface is really stable.
That's really great. Very highly skilled professionally
sustainable working experts developers who build GNU/linux
(including libs, cc tool chain, autotools, distro standards and
so much more) made this possible. It is fun working with it.

oki,

Steffen