[GSoC Proposal] automake - Exploit more features of GNU make in Automake

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: [GSoC Proposal] automake - Exploit more features of GNU make in Automake
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 00:59:17 +0100

ABSTRACT:
  The primary target of this project is to enable Automake-generated
  Makefiles to exploit more features of GNU make.  The exact details
  of how and on what level this is to be implemented (e.g., at Automake
  time by the developer, at configure time by the user, or a mixture of
  both) is to be determined in the design phase of the project.

DETAILS:
  See attachements.

-*-*-

In all honesty, I'm not completely sure the deliverables promised in this
proposal are truly enough to warrant a GSoC assignation; but at the moment
I cannot think how to extend them without risking to make the proposal too
big, thus ending up with an incomplete (or worse malfunctioning) result.

Do you think the deliverables are enough?  If not, do you have suggestions
about how they could be extended/improved?

Also, if there are GNU make specific improvements you'd like to see in
Automake-generated Makefiles, but which are not listed in my proposal,
feel free to speak up.  Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
  Stefano