Re: [GSoC Proposal] automake - Interfacing with a test protocol like TAP

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [GSoC Proposal] automake - Interfacing with a test protocol like TAP or subunit
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:48:26 +1300

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Stefano Lattarini
> to its suboptimal documentation.  So I'm going to ask: Robert, as
> the main proposer/supporter of the SubUnit protocol here, would you
> be willing and ready to help me out during my prospective work with
> GSoC, if I update my application's goal to read "Support SubUnit
> (and also TAP as derivation) in Automake-generated testsuites"?
> Maybe we could also improve SubUnit's documentation along the way,
> which would help both me and Automake, and also improve SubUnit
> itself and make it more "palatable" for potential adopters.

I'll be delighted to help by clarifying things or making sensible
small improvements. We should structure things so there is a clear API
between whatever automake needs and subunit providing it (this allows
subunit to continue to improve without automake needing to change
futher, and vice versa). I would offer to make large changes if
needed, but realistically, work is in the middle of a crucial project
that is going to be going on for ~ 3-4 more months, so I am somewhat
time constrained :). That said, Jelmer Vernooij may well - he has
written a number of Perl subunit tools in the samba project, and they
are likely to be at least somewhat relevant to whatever automake needs
are here.

-Rob