Re: Make looks for the wrong file

From: Dave Hart
Subject: Re: Make looks for the wrong file
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:06:54 +0000

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 13:28 UTC, GAVA Cédric <address@hidden> wrote:
> I moved the DedicatedSoftware.c file into src/state_machine directory, and
> changed my Makefile.am to the following :
> bridge_SOURCES  = src/state_machine/DedicatedSoftware.c
>        $> make: *** No rule to make target .../src/DedicatedSoftware.c',
> needed by `bridge-DedicatedSoftware.o'.  Stop.
> What do I miss ?

Your .deps directory has a makefile fragment referring to the original
path to that .c file, which make is including and hence barfing.  I
think re-running automake is all that's needed, which should have
happened automatically.

The ntp.org reference implementation of NTP includes a "deps-ver"
mechanism that allows a developer renaming or deleting files in a way
that will trigger this sort of .deps-related build break for those
tracking the source and rebuilding using an existing build directory
to bump the "deps-ver", which triggers removal of stale .deps/
contents, so they will be rebuilt correctly.  The sentinel file
/deps-ver (whose contents are changed, or "bumped" to trigger the
cleanup).  depsver.mf contains the logic and must be included in the
Makefile.am files using Automake's automatic dependency tracking.

Cheers,
Dave Hart