Re: autoconf + automake support for MSVC

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: autoconf + automake support for MSVC
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 19:27:54 +0200

Peter Rosin wrote:
> >> 'compile' makes cl understand the
> >> -l and -L options (and a few others).
> >
> > So, if I understand it right, you *don't* want to assume that $CC
> > understands -l and -L options, like the C compiler in POSIX does for
> > ages (cf.
> > <http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/c99.html>).
>
> I think you misunderstand, AM_PROG_CC_C_O clobbers $CC and prepends
> /path/to/package/build-aux/compile if $CC does not support
> -c and -o at the same time, something cl does not
> > all Autoconf macros that use -l or -L need to be adapted, so that they
> > handle 'cl' directly.
>
> Since $CC is updated by AM_PROG_CC_C_O your assumption does not hold.

OK, then the situation is not as bad as I thought.

But since not all packages use the AM_PROG_CC_C_O macro (only the use of
source files in directories without a Makefile.in requires it), I would
better recommend to everyone to use CC="/path/to/compile cl -nologo"
from the beginning.

Bruno
--
In memoriam Luigi Pasquale