problem with BUILT_SOURCES and make distcheck

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: problem with BUILT_SOURCES and make distcheck
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 19:12:20 +0100

Hey,

I have written a library that use mupdf to render PDF document. mupdf must
be linked statically to that library (there is no mupdf package on any
distro, no shared lib). So I included the mupdf source into my lib tree:

mylib/        <--- tree of my lib
  mupdf-0.9/  <--- the sub dir containing mupdf source code

Some source files of mupdf need some header files, these files are
generated by a tool which source files are also part of mupdf. So:

1) I need to compile first the tool (named cmapdump)
2) The I have to generate the header file cmap_cns.h with the command

  cmapdump cmap_cns.h $(some files)

$(some files) are just a list of files needed to generate the header file

3) I compile mupdf stuff using cmap_cns.h.

I do that in mylib/mupdf-0.9/Makefile.am (points 1 and 2 only):

[code]

noinst_PROGRAMS = cmapdump fontdump

BUILT_SOURCES = cmapdump cmap_cns.h

cmapdump_SOURCES = scripts/cmapdump.c

generated:
    @echo "  MKDIR  generated/"
    @$(MKDIR_P) generated/

cmap_cns.h: cmapdump generated $(cmap_cns_files)
    ./cmapdump generated/$@ $(cmap_cns_files)

[/code]

Hera are the 3 things I experienced (points A) B) and C) below)

A) Using 'make' is working :

1) cmapdump is compiled
2) cmap_cns.h is generated correctly
3) mupdf is compiled successfully.

B) But using 'make distcheck' is not working just after 'make' : cmapdump
is not compiled, Hence the command

./cmapdump generated/$@ $(cmap_cns_files)

is failing.

C) Now I do a 'make clean', then 'make distcheck,

1) cmapdump is compiled
2) cmap_cns.h is generated correctly
3) mupdf is compiled successfully.

So why do I have to clean first before distcheck ?

Thank you

Vincent Torri