Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU m

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU make?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:47:26 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

Another question is if GNU make is really good enough to warrant this
sort of change.
Good point - gmake has a long history of "hickups" :-)

My question was not meant to imply that GNU make is riddled with bugs. My question is if deciding to move to a tool which optimizes 30+ year old build concepts is a good idea.

Automake is a good build system because it provides a simple syntax by which the developer can specify his intention.

Any analysis of the build for large projects will show that timestamp-based 'make' and recursion lead to huge losses in build performance and build integrity.

Build dependencies and knowledge of the current build state are not adequately handled by timestamp-based 'make', even if it is GNU make.

Software builds will only grow larger. It is time for some innovative thinking.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn