Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU m

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU make?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:37:19 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

Build dependencies and knowledge of the current build state are not adequately handled by timestamp-based 'make', even if it is GNU make.

I do not agree with this claim - More precisely, I think, timestamp based handling is the only viable approach.

Make does not currently write anything to the filesystem to record how the current build products were produced. It has no "database". Timestamps do not indicate how current build products were produced. Automake does arrange for the compiler to write .d files which at least indicate which header files were used to build associated object files.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn