Re: Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU make? (was: Re: [gnu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU make? (was: Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] portability)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 15:33:06 -0500

    Honestly, there are such users today?  I mean, almost every Unix newbie
    these days either:

     - installs a Linux distro,

Do you mean a GNU/Linux distro?  If it is Linux alone, it won't even run.

The practice of ignoring the GNU Project (us!) and calling the GNU
system "Linux" hurts our work, so please make an effort to learn a
different habit.

Meanwhile, GNU newbies are not "Unix newbies" because GNU's Not Unix.

Anyway, rather than making speculative arguments about what users
want, let's find out -- by asking thenm and by small experiments,

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation